My friend Julien got me a waffle maker for my birthday this year, and it was one of the best gifts ever–waffles are so fun! It was perfect timing too because I was missing all of the vegan/gluten free Mickey waffles I had when I went to Disney World not long before that.
The first couple of times I used the waffle maker I followed some recipes I found on Pinterest, and they were pretty good, but then my partner Lucas made some for us by just winging it, and they turned out even better!
Since he’s clearly a waffle pro, I documented his basic recipe to share with y’all–it’s super simple and only includes 7 ingredients. I like to use Bob’s Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour because you don’t need to add any extra xantham gum or anything, but you could try other gluten free mixes as well (if you do let me know how it goes.) Lucas also makes them with whole wheat flour sometimes for him, so these are good regular gluten style as well. When showing me how to make them, he said getting them to the right consistency is key–the batter should be thin enough that it falls off of the whisk when you lift it–if it’s too thick, add more plant milk.
I love these waffles because they’re simple to make, crispy and delicious, and oil free as well! They’re best eaten immediately though as they lose their crispness quickly. I want to try these with vegan/gluten free chicken as well–if you know of any good recipes, please let me know!
This recipe makes just the right amount for the waffle maker I have, which makes 4 small waffles (they’re pretty filling though–I usually only eat 2.) I set the waffle maker to 4 because I like them pretty crispy, and it beeps when the waffles are ready.
Do you have a waffle maker? What are your favorite kind of waffles? If you make these please leave me a comment letting me know what you think and/or tag me on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook @pennysportal!
*Update April 2019–I often add 2-3 Tablespoons of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips to this recipe to make chocolate chip waffles, and they’re so delicious that way too!
*Note: This post is not sponsored but does contain affiliate links, meaning if you purchase through them I may make a small commission that supports this site (at no extra cost to you)–thanks!
- 1 cup (~165g) Bob's Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour (or flour of choice)
- 1¼ cups soy milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1 banana (~111g/4oz), mashed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Optional Toppings
- Maple syrup
- Chopped bananas or berries
- Nut butter
- Preheat waffle maker (I set mine at 4 for crispy waffles).
- Add 1 cup of the plant milk and the rest of the ingredients to a mixer and mix until well combined. (If you don't have a mixer you can also whisk by hand.) Check the consistency of the batter--the batter should be thin enough that it falls off of the whisk/beater when you lift it. If it's too thick, add more plant milk (I almost always add another ¼ cup.)
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick oil spray, then pour the batter over the heated waffle maker, spreading it with a spatula until it's evenly covered.
- Cook according to waffle maker instructions (mine beeps when it's ready)/until waffles are crispy.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or desired toppings--the waffles lose their crispness quickly.