I’m beginning to think I could fill a book with oatmeal recipes…maybe I will!
Ever since I read Dr. Greger’s book How Not to Die, I try to get in his recommended daily serving of 1/4 teaspoon turmeric. As discussed in his book, curcumin in turmeric may help prevent or treat lung disease, brain disease, various cancers, inflammatory conditions, and other diseases. Some days I add turmeric to rice or tofu scramble, sometimes I make golden milk (plant milk with turmeric and other spices), and I’ve even tried turmeric in donuts.
When I first tried golden milk, I wasn’t a big fan, and I think it’s because most recipes call for a lot of turmeric. Too much in my opinion. 1/4 teaspoon is all it takes to get the golden color and flavor and since it’s also the daily dozen recommendation, I think it’s the perfect amount.
Turmeric has an intense flavor, even when you only add 1/4 teaspoon. If you want less of the turmeric flavor but still want the health benefits, I’ve found that adding another 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon1 as well as a pinch of nutmeg and cloves helps balance out the flavor. Turmeric has grown on me though, and if you like the flavor, follow the ratios listed in the recipe to keep the spice.
I love the unique flavor of this golden milk oatmeal, and it’s an easy way to get in some daily turmeric. I always add topping to my oatmeal, and this recipe is great topped with cinnamon, walnuts or other nuts, pumpkin seeds, and raisins. If you try it, let me know what you think in the comments below and/or post a photo on Instagram and tag me (@pennysportal)!
- ½ cup (60g) rolled oats (Use certified gluten free if you have Celiac.)
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 small apple (125g/4.4 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup, agave, or sweetener of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon dried turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch black pepper
- pinch dried ginger
- splash plant milk (optional)
- pinch nutmeg & cloves (optional)
- toppings: cinnamon, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, raisins (optional)
- Chop apple into small pieces.
- Add oats, water, chopped apple, turmeric, and the rest of the spices to a small pot and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until oats have absorbed all of the water.
- Turn off the heat, add maple syrup, vanilla, and plant milk, and stir. Add toppings and serve immediately.
1/4 teaspoon total ↩