I make tropical smoothie bowls often, but I decided to mix it up and try making a peanut butter and jelly smoothie bowl recently (after being inspired by one of Caitlin Shoemaker’s recipes), and it came out so tasty I had to share it! This smoothie is packed with antioxidant rich berries, and the PB2 gives it a delicious peanut butter flavor.
If you want to learn more about the healthful disease fighting power of berries as well as other plant based foods, check out Dr. Greger’s book How Not to Die–I started reading it recently, and it’s packed full of vital information about how to prevent and possibly even reverse various diseases. I had never heard of barberries until I saw one of his videos about how they can help improve acne, but apparently they’re one of the most antioxidant rich berries, and now I try to eat them every day.
Update: I’ve started adding 2 cups of baby spinach to this smoothie, and you can’t even taste it! Yay for making this smoothie even healthier with extra greens! I’ve also made it with 2 cups of chopped kale and soy milk instead of coconut water, and it’s tasty like that as well!
Even if you don’t have fancy dried fruits or granola around the house, this smoothie would still be delicious topped with just banana and peanut butter! If you want it to be even more filling, you could add some oats to the smoothie, and if you want a little less peanut butter flavor, use one tablespoon of PB2 instead of 2.
I want to keep trying new fun smoothie bowl recipes–if you have any faves let me know in the comments. Also let me know if you try this one and/or post a photo on Instagram and tag me (@pennysportal)!
PB&J Smoothie Bowl
- 2 cups 210 g frozen berries (I used a bag of organic mixed blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- 2 cups baby spinach or kale leaves optional
- 1/2 cup 118 ml coconut water (or plant milk)+more as needed
- 1 ripe banana ~100g--Use a frozen banana for a thicker smoothie or a fresh banana for a thinner smoothie.
- 2 Tablespoons 30 ml PB2
- 1 Tablespoon 15 ml ground flax seeds
- 2 medjool dates
- granola and/or oats
- peanut butter PB2, or other nut butter or nuts
- cacao nibs
- dried barberries goji berries, or other dried berries
- Add frozen berries, spinach (if using), pitted dates, and other ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with granola/oats, peanut butter, PB2, or other nuts/nut butters, dried berries, cacao nibs, and banana or other fruit and serve.